Our favorite Filipino delicacy, tuyo, had a facelift and has gone gourmet. Infused in local herbs and spices, there are many versions of gourmet tuyo. This version uses 6 ingredients only, sticking to what is easily found in local markets and supermarkets.
- 30-35 tuyo heads removed
- regular cooking oil for frying tuyo
- 1 head garlic peeled and sliced thinly
- 5-7 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp black peppercorn
- 4-7 red chillis labuyo
- 1 cup olive oil or corn oil
- Fry tuyo in vegetable oil until the scales can be easily removed (about 7 minutes)
- Remove the scales and the soft parts. Flaking optional. Bigger tuyo is better flaked. Set aside.
- Fry sliced garlic in 1 cup olive oil or corn oil. Add bay leaves and peppercorns. Add red chillis (labuyo). Done as soon as the garlic is soft.
- Place gourmet tuyo in a clean jar or a glass container. Pour the oil and then add the spices. Store in the fridge and consume within 1 month.